Visualization Project- Animal Farm
Hello everyone,
I must say that for all the wonderful time I spent of Zoom University, I am still unable to do a plethora of technical savvy things. Uploading a PDF onto blogger seems to be one of those things. Well. Hang tight, I'll get another Zoom degree soon enough. For now, here is the link to my Animal Farm Canva Comic Strip.I must say that this course has lined up almost perfectly with the texts and instructional strategies that I have needed in my placement. Some of you have no idea how perfect this was! I had introduced texts while reading the prereading sources and started vocabulary as we talked about it in Lattimer. After being sent to work with English 9 ELL, I wondered why the visualization section of this class would be helpful? Past me should have seen the writing on the wall, right? Like, if it has helped before it should help again? I'd die first in a horror movie.
I learned quickly that vocabulary for ELL students relies heavily on being able to truly grasp the context. To see it. To work with it and to feel it. The cooperating teacher in that room, yes an ELLcertified teacher, moved on quite quickly without covering vocabulary or stopping to assess if students know the topic at hand. For reference, we were talking about the Greenhouse Effect and the carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere. Yeah, try explaining that one with 'words they may already know'. Y'all sometimes it is really hard to be a student teacher and just have to watch some of this stuff.
But I'm not a watcher. I'm a buyer. I bought myself a sturdy plastic sheet cover and a nice pair of whiteboard markers. Boom portable whiteboard on a budget. And what do you know? We are now learning how important it is for students to draw concepts and vocabulary. Facepalm, I knew this was coming! *Screams in gibberish 'Lattimer!' *
Anyways, I chose the comic book strip for the simplicity that they style conveys. Many students, even though the co-op will not admit it, do not know what a summary is or how to write one. Therefore, we're keeping this simple. Simple pictures on a simple format. This is to introduce the text and to provide a reference that students can go back to if need be. The pictures I chose were more of a graphic design and not so realistic-to keep students believing that this was indeed a comic book and not a huge text to be afraid of. Creating this text helped me realize that I really needed to know what was important in the story. At first, I was creating almost every element of the book. But girl, nobody has time for that! Time to slim that story down! So pull out the important parts. This of course is up for some debate. Yes, some elements are crucial and cannot be take to court on any matters (like when Harry kills Voldemort- that's pretty important to the whole series) but others can be included or excluded at the authors will. I think if I had my students do the same activity after reading a different text, I might have them write a small Claim-Evidence- Reasoning paragraph as to why they though that element was important to the story. You know, back their thinking up!
Hi! I tried commenting earlier, so I am sorry if this is doubled up. I thought your comic strip was really adorable and meaningful. I think your students would enjoy looking at that as well as creating one. I read that you would possibly use this as a summative assessment. We did this in my placement and the students really liked it. - Michelle Evans
ReplyDeleteAlyssa,
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing! I am teaching animal farm right now in class and I may just send this to my coop teacher to use once I'm gone. The visuals are great and I think students would really enjoy this.
Hi Alyssa, I love this idea! The comic book was really cool to read. I can see this strategy being used in so many different ways. Like you were talking about, maybe students could use it to keep a "visual vocabulary book" or something. - Emma Derber
ReplyDeleteYour comic killed me. As a 30 something, I grew up in the clip art days of digital art so it really brought me back to making art on the I-MACS in middle school. What I especially liked was your use of repetition from the farmer to pig. I guarantee that would be the spot where at least some of your ELL students went "Ooooohhhhhhhh, the pigs are the humans now!" I cannot imagine trying to read Animal Farm while I was learning a new language. For a story about animals, it has some real complexity going on. I love how you have incorporated drawing out ideas into your classroom, even if its on a plastic sheet. It sounds like you are really doing a great job working with your students. Keep up the great work!
ReplyDeleteHi Alyssa! Thank you for this post. One of the things you wrote about that really resonated with me was your reasoning for creating a comic strip. In creating a comic strip out of simplified images, you told the story of the text through an engaging and not-so-scary platform. Sometimes when I have a lot of reading to do, I can get intimidated by the length of the pages and lack of visual images. I think it was really effective of you to create a comic strip to accompany this story and visualize the text. I loved reading your comic! - Lizzy S.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your visualization project. It was visually pleasing to review how you combined imagery with the content of your topic. I especially appreciated viewing your comic. I didn't know that Canva could do that. Kudos to you for your creative work with the platform.
ReplyDeleteI hope that using images with the Canva platform for comics has inspired new ways to think about supporting reading in your classroom.